Another walk in the centre of Preston.
A photo of the The Old Bull on Church Street. It was once Preston’s top inn and called the Bull & Royal. There is a well known painting in the Harris Museum & Art Gallery titled ‘The Preston By-Election of 1862’ which shows a large crowd standing outside the inn with Sir Thomas Hesketh standing on the balcony having won the seat. Well worth having a look when the Harris re-opens.
Crystal House, the site of the previous Town Hall, destroyed by fire in 1947. On March 17th, which is almost exactly 76 years ago.
The Obelisk on Preston Flag Market. Positioned in 1782 but removed in 1853 and placed in the grounds of a house in the village of Woodplumpton to the north of Preston. In 1979 Queen Elizabeth II unveiled it after it was returned on May 10th, 800yrs after Preston received a Royal Charter.
Market Street as viewed from the Flag Market. Leading to the 2 impressive Victorian Covered Markets. On the corner of Market Street is the former Barclays Bank which was Martin’s Bank.
The former Public Hall or Corn Exchange on Lune Street.
Re-cladding of The Premier Inn, all around this nicely present house round the corner from the former Public Hall.
Two food stops outside the Premier Inn.
Fishergate from near the station
Preston Railway Station Butler Street entrance, looking towards the main central entrance and ticket office.
Preston Station main platforms, 3 and 4, for the West Coast Main Line between London and Glasgow. Birmingham and Edinburgh too.